It is believed that one in 100 children have, or will have, an Autism Spectrum diagnosis. Orion Academy is the first high school in California to provide an education specifically for these students. The program is structured on our understanding of the theoretical basis of neurocognitive disorders. Focus is on remediating social, emotional, and visual–spatial deficits in a safe learning environment.
The Orion community works collaboratively to help students discover and develop their individual gifts and strengths, become self-advocates and realize their full potential. We strive to engage students in an educational experience that provides a path to independence.
To educate secondary students with NLD, Asperger’s Syndrome and other neurocognitive disorders in a program that equally emphasizes academics, social competency and pragmatic language development.
Expected Schoolwide Learning Results
Orion Students embrace and address their challenges in the areas of academics, social competency, and executive functioning by:
- Developing self-awareness
- Building self-advocacy skills
- Assuming responsibility for their own social and academic growth
Orion students improve the quality of their learning and critical thinking by:
- Analyzing and evaluating relevant information
- Raising well-thought out questions
- Being flexible thinkers
- Evaluating their own personal thinking
Orion students show competency in socials skills and pragmatic language by:
- Actively participating in the Orion community
- Developing effective communication skills for different social contexts